Monday 6 November 2017

Harvest Monday: November 6, 2017


It is so close to the end of the season here, but I might still have a goodie or two left in the garden for another week.  In the meantime, a dip in the temperature forced me to harvest all remaining (mostly unripe) peppers in the greenhouse (it isn't heated).  Most of these are Feher Ozon, with more Hungarian Hot Wax.  They were chopped up, along with what was left of the last pepper harvest, for a mixed sweet and hot pepper jam.


I also took the opportunity of a less rainy day (Saturday) to harvest the carrots and parsnips so I can wrap up that part of the garden for the year.  The carrots were mostly Nantes with a few mix coloured carrots for a total of 4.5 pounds.  The parsnips are Hollow Crown - not as rust-resistant as my previous type Albion but ended up with an okay batch of 2.5 pounds.

And a few days before a recent frost last week, I picked a big bunch of parsley.  It's been a pretty good season overall, and I look forward to tallying up the final results soon - pretty close to last year from what I can tell weight-wise, but I had much better luck with the summer squash and cukes this year so no surprise!

I will be popping over to Our Happy Acres to see what Dave and the Harvest Monday gang are doing this week ... you should check it out too!



6 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful amount of carrots and your parsnips look great. I planted carrots really late, but they're in the sunniest bed in our north facing garden so hopefully they'll actually make some carrots. It does look like you've had a great year for peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should at least get some small carrots, the best!

      Delete
  2. Pepper jam is on my to do list this week after I finally get around to harvesting some of the Aji peppers. I would be really happy to get 2.5 pounds of parsnips right now because my parsnip harvest this season will be a big fat ZERO. Two rounds of seeds failed to germinate even with fresh new seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, too bad on the parsnips for you. I'm lucky enough to just scatter a packet around and see what comes up ... and lazy enough not to thin them so I get skinny minnies.

      Delete
  3. That is a nice haul of carrots and parsnips! The hot peppers jam sounds yummy. I made some last year when I had lots of peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty happy with the carrot/parsnip situation - enough to last the rest of this year at least!

      Delete