Monday 11 September 2017

Harvest Monday: September 11, 2017




I did not post last week as I was busy with the harvests.  I've harvested 48 pounds of veggies this past two weeks, almost as much as I've harvested the previous few months.  Of course, it's that time of year for cukes, zukes and such that tend to weigh more than, you know, radishes and greens. So I've had a few more tromboncino squash ...


This trombo managed to get inside a square container while growing

I used some of it to make a mock apple pie - this type of summer squash is perfect to replicate apples as it has a firmer texture than most zucchini, and I just added a bit more sugar to the recipe.  It's not intended to be healthier than regular apple pie, just helps to use up all of those squash!


I managed to pickle many of the cucumbers but did give quite a few away. I've also put up about 10 pounds of tomatoes with another few pounds waiting - mostly my red wine-herb tomato sauce or just plain tomatoes.  And more than a few sandwiches have been eaten.


And some pasta.


And I have 22 pounds of winter squash - I believe these are all Fordhook Acorn.


I was away in the spring and didn't start squash seeds indoors, so I took more than a dozen mixed seeds from the varieties I was planning on growing and scattered them around the garden space.  I didn't get any Waltham Butternut or any Spaghetti Squash.  But I got several of these (two more on the vines).  The only other thing they could possibly be are small versions of Dickinson pumpkins as I planted those as well, but that seems unlikely.  So these are shaped like the Fordhook Acorn shown by The Cottage Gardener, from whom I bought the seed.  It's just that they were supposed to be whitish, not full on orange?  Ah well.  I'm sure they'll be delicious either way.


And yesterday I pulled the few pathetic beets I had, and have started to harvest some carrots. I've picked another Tiara cabbage and there is just one more of those left in the garden.

Please pop by Our Happy Acres, where Dave graciously hosts the Harvest Monday postings, to see what other gardeners have going on this week.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice harvests. Mock apple pie made with summer squash--that's a new one! Ritz crackers are the traditional, and amusing, ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have a busy week! So, honestly, did the squash do a decent job as a stand in for apple in the pie? I guess with enough sugar, spices, and vanilla ice cream it could be pretty darn good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about using the trombo in sweet recipes, though I have tried it in zucchini bread. Some of mine have contorted shapes but your square one is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 22 lbs of squash - very jealous! My tiny winter squash...all 4 of them...will be lucky to weigh in at more than a 3 or 4 pounds total.

    ReplyDelete