Saturday 16 January 2016

Spicy Miso-Glazed Acorn Squash


My official new favourite way of eating squash!!  This was really delicious and I will definitely be making it again.  BUT ... I can't believe how hard it is to cut squash into slices.  I've never done that before - I usually bake winter squash in halves or big chunks.  If there is some special trick to making it easier, please let me know.  I just found it really hard to cut 1/2 inch slices with such tough skin.


But the flavours were so good!  After slicing up the squash, I tossed it with a combination something like this (it was a bit loosey-goosey): 2 Tbsp white miso paste, 2 Tbsp hot sauce, 1 Tbsp maple syrup and 3 Tbsp olive oil.  No salt required as the miso is enough.  Then bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.  What little sauce was left from the original toss was spread over the squash at the midway point.


I used my homemade hot sauce in this recipe (not much left now).  I really wish I could remember the recipe because it is awesome.  And hot.  But not as hot as the hot sauce I made with the hinklehatz peppers.  Whew, that is used in spare amounts, for sure.

I served it with baked trout that also had a miso glaze, but more of an Asian style (soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, sesame oil and the miso paste).

A great way to use one of my harvests.  I have two squash left in the cold room - a spaghetti squash and a marina di chioggia. I'll be surfing the net to decide what to do with these two in the coming weeks (unless someone has a really good idea for me to try??!).

5 comments:

  1. I have a ton of squash in the basement to use up...all but one are from the farm I volunteered at. That sounds like a delicious way of making squash - I'll have to try it.

    Wish I could help you with the cutting bit, but the other day I made a spaghetti squash and I even found that so hard that I ended up roasting it whole otherwise I risked chopping off a finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicy sweet miso on squash, that sounds so good! Marina Di Chioggia is my favorite squash for making stuffed pastas like cappellacci or tortellini, it's dry flesh is perfect for that. It also really good prepared Agro-Dolce. Cut squash in slices (sorry), peeled, pan fried in olive oil. Put the fried squash on paper towels to absorb excess oil, then arrange the slices on a warm platter. Reheat a couple tablespoons of the oil and saute some chopped garlic, stir in a couple tablespoons each wine vinegar and sugar, stir until sugar dissolves and then drizzle the sauce over the squash. Season with salt and pepper and mint if you have it, pepper flakes are good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious Michelle! I had to look up agro-dolce, didn't know what it meant. So a sweet and sour type of sauce - that is now on my list of things to try!

      Delete
  3. To cut hard shelled squashes, I use a small meat cleaver and a rubber headed mallet. I tap the mallet along the spine of the cleaver and it cuts through steadily. (That darn rubber mallet comes in so handy is many both indoor and outdoor tasks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, Tracy! I'm going to try the rubber mallet thing the next time I cut squash (I have both cleaver and mallet, neither of which gets used much).

      Delete