Saturday 11 October 2014

Pumpkin and Maple Granola


I had a terrible year for growing pumpkins ... 6 plants with not a single pumpkin to show for my efforts.  So I picked up a couple at a market just south of Manotick.  Two pie pumpkins, 4-5 pounds each, for only $3.50!  For both!   It's a great time to get out and about to roadside stands or even just a table at the end of someone's driveway. 


I made some pies a couple of weeks ago with one of them.  Not my best effort so I won't bother to post the recipe.  But I have lots of other pumpkin recipes that I've been planning.   Starting with this granola ...


Dry Ingredients:

4 cuts large flake oats
2 cups mixed nuts, chopped*
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp wheat germ

* I used a mix of cashews, almonds, pecans and pistachios



Wet ingredients:
2 egg whites, beaten (fluffy, not stiff)
1 Tbsp neutral oil (I used grapeseed)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Beat the egg whites in a second large bowl then add remaining wet ingredients.  Whisk together.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir so that everything is well coated.


Spread into an even layer on a cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes at 300 degrees F.  Stir 2-3 times during cooking.

Allow to cool.  Add 1/2 cup unsalted, roasted pumpkin seeds and 1 cup dried cranberries.   Makes about 2 litres. This will last for months in the freezer (I freeze it in mason jars).


2 comments:

  1. We love homemade granola around here - can't stand the super sweet store bought stuff. Never thought to add pumpkin - I always have leftover pumpkin puree when I make pies & this would be a great use for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another granola recipe that I make often which is a bit sweeter than this one (but still not as sweet as the store bought). It is particularly good with the pistachios.

      Delete