Wednesday 11 June 2014

Pimm's Mojito


The mint that I bought earlier this spring has grown considerably in the larger pot I transplanted it into.  Hot day plus available mint equals cocktail time!

This mojito-style cocktail made with Pimm's No. 1 Cup is very refreshing.  I use just enough sugar to balance the mild bitterness of the Pimm's, although a traditional mojito is usually sweeter.  And I've used turbinado because I like it ... some of the recipes I have seen call for powdered sugar which will dissolve more quickly.  Adjust any of the ingredients to your taste ...

Ingredients:
1 tsp turbinado sugar
Fresh lemon, quartered or sliced
15-20 mint leaves
Ice
3 oz Pimm's No. 1 Cup
Club Soda

Put the sugar in the bottom of the glass (like a collins or highball glass) then squeeze in about 1-2 tsp of lemon juice.  Stir the sugar around until it has mostly dissolved.






Add the mint leaves (save one or two fresh sprigs for garnish).  Muddle the mint.  Basically this means to bruise the leaves a bit to release the fragrance of the mint - this drink is all about the mint!  Don't work it too hard, you don't want the leaves to actually break up - but you want to see a bit of "damage" to the leaves.  It should look like broken blood vessels.





I don't have a muddle ... I just used the butt end of an oyster shucker.








Add some ice, then the Pimm's and soda. Garnish with a lemon wedge and mint sprig.



You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment