Monday 26 May 2014

2014 Garden Plans: Part 1


This past weekend has definitely been my busiest to date for the 2014 gardening season.  Whew, I think most of the hard work is done and now it's down to maintenance (ugh, weeding) ... and plenty of watering.

Here's a rundown of what I'm growing this year ... there are a lot of gardens, so this is a two-parter (hmm, make that a three-parter - I've been awfully busy).

Last year was my first in this location.  What I refer to as the main "dug" garden was the only vegetable garden on the property in addition to the greenhouse.  I refer to it as a "dug" garden as most of my other projects are "raised" above ground.


In the Main "Dug" Garden

Tarbais Beans, San Marzano Tomatoes

Mess of a Strawberry Patch (and Raspberries)

Garlic, Cucumbers, Okra and Onions


In the Raised Garden Frames

Most of these were added last year, but I added two more this spring.


Cukes to the Left Side, Carrots in that Blue Bin and Wildflowers in Frame

Left Frame is Borlotti Beans and Swiss Chard; Right is Onions and Carrots

Left Frame is Onions and Beets; Right is Peas and Radish

Garlic Planted in the Fall


In the "Flat" Raised Gardens

I created the herb garden last spring and started the "greens" garden just before winter so it would be ready for use this year.

Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Tarragon
Lettuce, Arugula, Spinach, Kale, Basil, Cilantro


In the Hugel Garden

Like the greens garden, I started this last year to be ready for 2014 ... although this one was considerably more work! All the veggies here have been planted by seed.  It will take a few years for the "inside"of this garden to be fully broken down.  I just hope there is enough material this year for the roots to get a proper hold.

Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti Squash and Cantaloupe
More asparagus beside the Hugel




















I'll continue the summary of my 2014 garden plans tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment