Tuesday 26 November 2013

Stuffed Spaghetti Squash (Part 2) with Roasted Peppers, Herbs, Olives and Goat Cheese


I'm still loving the spaghetti squash. In fact, I've removed some of the seeds to save for the garden next year.  I think they should grow properly (unlike tomatoes which really need to come from an heirloom variety).  If anyone thinks these won't work, let me know and I'll chuck them.  Otherwise, I hope to be growing some of my own spaghetti squash next season.

Here is a another tasty way to serve this squash.  The "Part 1" recipe (spaghetti squash with pesto and shrimp) involves removing the strands of "spaghetti" and tossing them with other ingredients.  This version is a stuffed variety but there are still spaghetti-like strands when eating.


This is one of those "throw whatever you have in the fridge together" type of situations where you can add in any of your favourite veggies.  I went with one of my favourite combos of red onion, black olives, roasted peppers and goat cheese in a tomato sauce.  But next time maybe sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.  Or feta cheese or even ricotta instead of the goat cheese.  Spinach?  Mmmm, wish I'd thought of that earlier.


Bake the squash as usual: cut in half, remove seeds, bake cut face down on a baking tray at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.  

In the meantime, prepare your filling.  Saute together in a small amount of olive oil:

1/2 red onion, sliced
2-3 Tbsp roasted red peppers, chopped
Pitted and sliced black olives

Add 1 1/2 cups whole tomatoes or tomato sauce, along with some leaves of fresh thyme or rosemary.  Cook about 10 minutes together.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.  Add about 4-6 oz goat cheese, then season to taste.

When squash is ready, place cut side up on baking tray.  Ladle filling into both sides of the squash.  Top with additional cheese (grated parmesan, cheddar or mozzarella).  And I had some garlic-butter panko crumbs in the freezer so I threw some on top as well.  Bake again just enough to heat through the filling and brown the cheese on top (maybe 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees F).

No comments:

Post a Comment