Saturday 5 October 2013

Soba Noodles with Black Vinegar Sauce (and Kimchi)


This is an amazing recipe Dan threw together a few years back.  Very healthy, very delicious!  Soba Noodles are made from buckwheat flour which is apparently gluten-free if you care about that kind of thing.  I don't ... I just think they taste great.
 
I've shown the recipe exactly as it was written, but I made a few changes based on what I had available.  I did not have mushrooms on hand, but I did include some sliced cabbage.  And one big change is that I unfortunately did not have kimchi - had I planned ahead, I easily could have picked some up in Ottawa.  It's a very nice-to-have ingredient for this recipe but can be made without it.

And I tried a different variation.  I recently had the opportunity to go to Momofuku Noodle Bar on a recent trip to Toronto and was inspired by the ramen dish I had.  


Obviously soba noodles are not ramen but they are the best I'll ever get for a home version.  So after following the recipe as written, I poured over some hot chicken stock and topped with a poached duck egg to make a ramen-style bowl of noodles.  Pure awesomeness!




Prepare 3 cups of assorted vegetables:
  • sliced onions
  • garlic, ginger
  • julienned sweet peppers
  • sliced mushrooms
  • 1 small red chili pepper (thai chili preferably, I just had jalapenos)

 
Prepare Soba Noodles (approx. 300 grams) according to package instructions. 








Prepare black vinegar sauce by combining:
  • 1 Tbsp each of soy sauce, black vinegar, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, water plus ...




  • 1 tsp each mirin, sugar, lemon juice and a few drops of sesame oil, tabasco






Check sauce, if too strong add another Tbsp of water (note: if you are going to add chicken stock like my ramen style version then don't add any water at all as the stock will dilute the flavour).


Cook garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute in a small amount of vegetable oil.  Add prepared vegetables plus 1/2 cup kimchi and stir fry on high heat until just tender.  Add noodles and sauce, heat through.

Garnish with green onion or cilantro.  Serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment