Tuesday 22 October 2013

Acorn Squash Soup with Bacon and Sage Crisps


I've made it to week three of my once-a-week soup recipe plan.  Yes, I know, I've seen the pattern; three weeks and three pureed veggie soups (week one: Ginger Carrot Soup with Coconut and Miso and week two: Broccoli Soup with Blue Cheese Toasts) and now the acorn squash.  If I manage a week four recipe, I'll have to try something different.

It's just so easy with the wonderful fall veggies available this time of year (and available right in my own garden ... well, cold storage now).  In addition to the acorn squash that I grew, the sage was picked fresh from the herb garden.  And these crispy sage leaves?!  Sooooo delicious.  I'll remember to make extra next time as I had nibbled several on their own before the soup was served.

Ingredients:
3 lbs acorn squash, halved and seeded
3 slices bacon
1/2 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, diced
Fresh sage leaves
Vegetable stock

Bake the squash at 350 degrees F until tender, 30-40 minutes. When cool enough to touch, peel and cut into chunks.

Cook the bacon until crisp in a frying pan.  Set aside bacon to use as a garnish, then transfer 1 Tbsp of bacon fat (or olive oil if you prefer) into a dutch oven or other soup pot.




Saute onion, garlic and carrot until onion is translucent.  Add in squash, 7-8 sage leaves and 3 cups vegetable stock.  Simmer about 30 minutes.







Remove all but 2 sage leaves and discard.  Puree soup mixture.  Season with S&P.  If soup is too thick, add more stock (I added another 1 cup).

Sage Crisps:  Reheat bacon fat (or heat 2 Tbsp olive oil).  Fry fresh sage leaves about 1-2 minutes, until they turn dark green. 








Serve soup hot with crumbled bacon and sage crisps.






No comments:

Post a Comment