Thursday 22 August 2013

Old School Potato Salad


This is based on the potato salad I grew up eating.  I adapted the recipe to my own tastes after I began making it on my own.  When I asked my mom recently for the amounts of the sauce ingredients, I realized it was originally much more mayonnaise-y than I had remembered.  Over the years, I increased the amounts of mustard and vinegar significantly to get this version. I've seen references to "Texas Potato Salad" that have similar ingredients and sauce.

Potato Salad
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, boiled, cut into bite-sized chunks*
5 eggs, hard-boiled, chopped
1/3 cup grated carrot
4-5 radishes, quartered and sliced
2 large spring onions, sliced
Sauce (see below)

* I often mix in blue potatoes, sweet potatoes or yams along with regular potatoes for variety of taste and texture.

Prepare the eggs and chop into a bowl along with the grated carrot, sliced radishes and green onions.  Combine all sauce ingredients in another bowl and whisk together. While the potatoes are still hot, toss with the salad ingredients then quickly pour over the sauce and gently stir together.


Serve warm or cold.


Sauce
2/3 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbsp mustard
3 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
1 1/2 tsp white sugar
S&P to taste (I like a lot of pepper)


No comments:

Post a Comment