Saturday 31 August 2013

Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins (Happy Bacon Day 'Murica)


Perfect timing to post this recipe which I made for a friend's BBQ last weekend - it's American National Bacon Day (celebrated on the Saturday before Labour Day).  This recipe not only includes bacon, but uses the bacon fat as well ... 'nuff said.  I've made it quite a few times now always with great feedback!

I included this recipe in a "scrapbook cookbook" that I started a while back but have moved onto the blog thing, so it's clearly not going anywhere.  Besides, I wasn't very good at it:



 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.



Cook chopped bacon - I cook it pretty crisp as I want the fat for the rest of the recipe and it will soften again when cooked in the muffins.  Remove bacon, set aside.

Melt butter in bacon fat. When slightly cool, pour into a large mixing bowl.













Add sugar to butter mixture, beat.  Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beat.  Stir in buttermilk.

 



Blend in creamed corn, reserved bacon, cheese and chopped chilies.







In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Mix dry into wet, stirring just enough to moisten.



Fill a greased 12-muffin tin with batter and bake approximately 35-45 minutes.


Very moist and tasty ...



No comments:

Post a Comment