Monday 15 July 2013

Jamie Oliver's Strawberries with Pimm's and Vanilla Ice Cream


The smell of the strawberries and vanilla beans together is intoxicating!  I spent far too much with my head over the dish just smelling the beauty of it all ...

The only real change I made to Jamie Oliver's original recipe ("Grilled strawberries with Pimm's and vanilla ice cream" from Jamie at Home) was with the ginger ... his recipe calls for "pieces of ginger in syrup ... plus 3 Tbsp of the ginger syrup".  I'm sure ginger in syrup is available somewhere around here, but I certainly didn't have any on hand.  I did however have candied ginger.  So I chopped some up and poured boiling water over it to create my own ginger with syrup.  Otherwise the amounts and methods are only slightly different.

Ingredients:
3/4 pound strawberries, hulled
2 pieces candied ginger, chopped
1 vanilla bean, split with seeds scraped out
Pimm's No.1
Butter Cookies
Vanilla Ice Cream





Put chopped candied ginger in a bowl and pour 3 Tbsp boiling water over top.  Let sit a few minutes.  Preheat broiler.





In a small baking dish, mix together strawberries, ginger and syrup, seeds from the vanilla bean and a large splash of Pimm's.  Place under the broiler for 4-6 minutes until syrup begins to bubble. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (but serve while still warm).






Serve strawberries with broken bits of butter cookies and vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment