Thursday 18 July 2013

Garlic Scape Hummus



It is garlic scape season!  I was lucky enough to be given a big batch of them from a good friend; I did not plant any garlic last fall so had none of my own.  I try to use garlic scapes the same way I use garlic; as long as the recipe calls for minced or chopped fresh garlic, scapes can probably be used.  But I say probably; I actually haven't used them too often so I don't have a lot of experience.

It definitely works well in a pesto recipe; either as replacement for just the garlic in the recipe, or even replacing both the garlic and the basil as I did (Garlic Scape Pesto).

This is a pretty basic hummus recipe with scapes replacing the garlic.  Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms (olive oil can be added straight in or streamed in during processing).  Both olive oil or lemon juice can be adjusted for texture and/or seasoning. Salt to taste.



1/3 cup scapes, roughly chopped
1 19 oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp tahini
1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice
3-5 Tbsp olive oil
Salt




Serve with warm pita bread, olives and a drizzle of olive oil.






No comments:

Post a Comment