Sunday 9 June 2013

Radish and Sugar Snap Peas on Baby Beet Greens

 
 
I stopped growing radishes a few years ago as they usually sat in the garden uneaten.  I do like radishes, but just don't seem to have the occasion to use them often, other than my usual potato salad recipe.

I saw some at a farmer's market yesterday, and they looked so fresh I had to give them a try.  I've paired them here with some fresh peas from my greenhouse (what you see in the dish is the entire haul available; I've been nibbling so barely enough for this salad).  You'll find similar recipes for pea and radish salad, some calling for green onions or even feta.  Instead, I kept it simple and laid it on a bed of fresh baby beet greens.



Taunus Hybrid
Touchstone Gold
My beets are doing very well as far as the greens.  From what I've read, you can pull up to one third of the leaves without it affecting growth of the bulb itself.  Hopefully the healthy greens are a reflection of the bulb as well - I can't wait for a beetroot salad!


Since I only had enough ingredients for a small plate, it's difficult to explain the proportions, so either check out another recipe, or work out your own proportions.


Remove top and tail from sugar snap peas and place in bowl.  Pour boiling water over the peas, and let sit for a few minutes.  Plunge into ice water, then pat dry.

The dressing is simple: 1 part each of light soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.

Toss peas, some chopped mint and sliced radishes with just enough dressing to coat, then place on a bed of baby beet greens.


No comments:

Post a Comment