Thursday 16 May 2013

Salad Greens with Panko-Encrusted Goat Cheese



I'm sorry, it sounds so hoity-toity.  I am actually not a big fan of the whole foodie lingo.  The fact is, this is just a salad with some goat cheese rolled in fancy bread crumbs, then fried.  If you are a serious foodie, and digging the lingo, I seriously recommend you check your ego at the door, and watch Episode 14 of Season 14 of South Park (tried to find a link, but couldn't - lots of clips on Youtube).  Oooohhhh, Crème Fraîche, Crème Fraîche!!  And by the way, the "Shake Weight" that I received as a gift later that year is still the funniest gift I've ever received!

My big joke about foodie lingo was a few years back when everything was "baked off" or "cooked off" or "broiled off".  I'm not really sure what value the word "off" is adding to those phrases, but I appreciate that language changes over time and can, and will, adapt to current cultural lingo.  So here's my input ... the next time I make some Jamaican food, I plan to jerk off a chicken (apologies to any underage folks reading this, but hopefully you just don't get the context).  Of course, I'm criticizing foodie lingo at my own risk; I suspect I slip into now and again myself.

But back to the main point of this post.  I am still LOVING the goat cheese I recently purchased (or should I say "sourced", ha ha ha) at Clarmell Farms.  And after my minimalist salad a few weeks back (Vinaigrette for Teacup Salad), I was ready for another round.


I just patted the goat cheese into a "round", tossed into a bowl with beaten egg, then dredged in Panko crumbs.  Panko are just Japanese seasoned bread crumbs.  Fry until golden brown on each side.






For the salad, I used some fresh greens, and added some dried cranberries and pecans. I had meant to add pumpkin seeds but left them on the counter forgotten. 




No salad dressing was needed ... I simply squeezed some lemon juice over the salad, goat cheese disks and all.  So good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment