Thursday 28 March 2013

Growing Herbs From Seed ... Not

With the new house, I don't have any established perennials, and I'll want a lot.  In order to get lots of rosemary, thyme, tarragon and sage, I decided to try growing them from seeds.  Here is why I'll never do it again.

Here is the rosemary seedling that I started almost 7 weeks ago - out of 30 or so seeds, this was the only one that germinated. I have since started a few more, but it has been very challenging.  Out of a $3 pack of about 100 seeds, I have maybe 10 sprouts which I have been coddling day after day - heat mat, sometimes dark, sometimes under the fluorescent light - anything to get them to germinate and grow!!




And here is the rosemary plant that I just bought at a local grocery store for $2.



Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment